The winter is a great time to prepare your garden soil

I realize the winter may not be the best time to start blogging about a vegetable garden so I am going to use this opportunity to talk about organic gardening practices and the health of the soil and some delicious winter recipes for soups and stews, too. The winter is a wonderful time to renew the soil by adding plant and animal material. A friend of mine told me about a huge pile of horse manure at our local recycling center so off I went with my little red truck and got some to mix into my garden. That took care of the animal material now for the plant material. My next trip to the recycling center I will pick up some of the composted leaves and grass clippings and lay it down on top of my garden. Next year I hope to see lots of those wonderful earthworms that are a sign of healthy soil.